Version 7.0, released January 20th 2017.
Confluence versions are generated with help and come in two flavors:
- flat: all sections on a single page
- structured: one Confluence page per arc42-section
These versions are generated for the latest version of confluence (we test with our own cloud-hosted confluence provided by Atlassian.)
Notes for Confluence users
We are operating a public confluence - as (briefly) described here.
If you consider to use confluence, the asciidoc2confluence script might be helpful.
There is also a confluence plugin available from the atlassian market place.
Legacy Version (arc42 v6) for Confluence
If you still use confluence version 4 or 5, these legacy downloads might help you
|Confluence version||Language||With Help|
These legacy versions have been provided (thanx!) by arc42 users - and can not be supported by us (as we don’t have access to these legacy Confluence versions).
Enterprise Architect© format
Enterprise Architect;copy; is a commercial UML modeling tool by SparxSystems.
The Enterprise-Architect version of arc42 contains only the diagram-intensive parts of the arc42 structure without help text. It’s available in EN only.
Please use this format only as a companion to any textual or wiki format, as it does not contain any explanations or rationales. Put your diagrams into an EA model, but text and tables should be created, kept and maintained differently.
|Enterprise Architect EAP|
|Short EA template: arc42-V6-short.eap.zip|
IBM Rhapsody© format
Rhapsody© is a commercial modeling tool by IBM, primarily suited for embedded systems.
The Rhapsody version of arc42 contains the complete parts of the arc42 structure with minimum help text. It’s available in EN only. This rhapsody arc42 profile includes the complete arc42 structure within Rhapsody using UML/SysML.
This version has been created and tested with Rhapsody version 8.2.1.
It contains following items in the zip archive:
- rhapsody_arc42_profile Rhapsody project. In this Rhapsody project following model is contained:
- rhapsody_arc42_profile which comprises of stereotypes required for establishing arc42 structure
- place holder to start adding your project
rhapsody_arc42_report_generation folder for Report generation which contains IBM RPE template required to generate Report out of the Rhapsody model.
- rhapsody_example_arc42_for_arc42 example Rhapsody project called. In this Rhapsody project following model is incorporated
- example_arc42_for_arc42 a small example where all the chapters are explained on why arc42 with arc42 structure
- usage of rhapsody_arc42_profile within
- rhapsody_arc42_getting_started_guide.docx which explains the usage of rhapsody arc42 profile
We appreciate the contribution of user
@nrnjnsk83 (Niranjan SK, Robert Bosch GmbH), who produced and contributed the Rhapsody version for arc42!
|IBM Rhapsody arc42 Template|
Formats for other modeling tools
We currently don’t support additional modeling tools - but would love to… In case you use arc42 with such a tool, please think about contributing :-)
Please contact us!
- Microsoft Word, usable with LibreOffice or OpenOffice
- Powerful yet simple markup language, used by arc42 itself. Ideally suited for architecture documentation. See docToolchain or the original source.
- Widespread and simple markup language, documented here by its inventor.
- Same format as markdown above but every chapter is located in its own file.
- GitHub Flavored Markdown is a dialect of Markdown that is used on GitHub.com and GitHub Enterprise. See the article here .
- Same format as gitHubMarkdown above but every chapter is located in its own file.
- No, not the rubber stuff, but the mother (despite TeX) of all markup languages, a full-blown document preparation system. For those who need beauty and are willing to invest some effort…
- ReStructuredText, markup language, heavily used by ReadTheDocs and in the Python world.
- Another simple markup language, well-documented.
- Used only to view the template, not to work with it.
- A commercial wiki system (by Atlassian Inc.).
arc42 offers architecture training.Two expert trainers at all times, highly practical and pragmatic, ideal preparation for iSAQB CPSA-Foundation certification. Depending on the COVID-19 situation, some workshops might be conducted online/remote.
Next available dates (in German):
iSAQB Advanced Topics
IMPROVE: Learn to effectively evolve and maintain systems.
- March 22-24 2021, online (Gernot Starke)
- June 22-24 2021, Frankfurt (Gernot Starke with Peter Hruschka)
Req4Arc: Getting your Requirements right.What to do if your requirements need improvement.
- June 15-17 2021, Munich (Peter Hruschka with Gernot Starke)
- October 5-7 2021, Frankfurt (Peter Hruschka with Gernot Starke)
Early bird rates available. Contact us for inhouse training.